Monday 22 December 2014

Rinny Reviews : The Stall of Second Chances By Dana Bate








Synopsis

Not just with eating it - though she loves that too - but with writing about it as an aspiring cookery reporter. But food journalism jobs are more coveted than cupcakes, and so Sydney is stuck working for one of TV's biggest egomaniacs - until she's left scrambling for shifts at the local farmers' market.

Selling muffins at the Wild Yeast Bakery is hardly going to make her the next Nigella. But soon Sydney is writing the market's weekly newsletter, and her quirky stories gain attention from a prominent food columnist. After years of being left on the shelf, she's even dating again. And then Sydney gets a shot at the story, one that could either make her career or burn it to a cinder - along with her relationship and her reputation.
 



Review


***DISCLAIMER*** I WAS PROVIDED A COPY OF THIS BOOK FROM THE LOVELY GRACE AT LITTLE BROWN BOOK GROUP FOR FREE, FOR IN RETURN AN HONEST REVIEW.

When I saw the chance to review this book in our email. I was so excited I love books written around food. I do not get to read them as often as I like. I have not read any books by Dana Bate before and I was not disappointed  I hope to read more from her in the future. One last thing before i get started with my review. How cute is the cover? The answer is too cute, anyone who can resist this cover alongside the synopsis, is a stronger person than me lol. I could not put this book down not even to eat it went everywhere with me open in my hand. I'm surprised I did not smash myself into objects all over the house lol.

I fell in love not only with this book from the very beginning but with Sydney our leading lady. She is relatable in so many ways, as you follow her on her journey from being in a good job that she doesn't really care for too being at her lowest point. We are with her side by side as she tries to overcome issues from her past, re discovering her love for blogging about food, forming new relationships and fixing old relationships, all while trying to get into her dream job. She is self doubting, witty, funny, intelligent, caring and has a tongue as sharp as a sword even when it comes to herself in her own head.  

We meet a variety of colourful and varied characters throughout the book. From gruff Market stall owner Rick, ex-boyfriend Zach, handsome Jeremy who she has a lot in common with her too her self-obsessed little sister. Some have bigger parts in the book than others but all leave a noticeable stamp in the book especially Jeremy who as one of the main characters in the book we actually do not see a lot of but we feel as if we know him as much as Sydney.

This book is a roller-coaster, ups and downs, twists and turns with secrets a plenty. This book will make you laugh out loud, make you cry, make you angry and disappointed at times. However by the end you will have been so hungry you have ate all the food in the house and still be starving but happy.

The writer has a gift for describing food, all my important senses were awoken it felt like i could see, smell and taste the foods I was reading about. I was so hungry all the way through this book. Luckily for us the author has kindly put a whole bunch of recipes at the back of the book for foods in the book. Yum Yum!!

This book is a cute, charming, enjoyable read that will leave you warm, fuzzy and hungry for more. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good foodie read or looking for a quick easy cozy read. In particular fans of Jenny Colgan or Abby Clements.

My Rating: 


To Buy Links




Author Bio




Dana Bate graduated from Yale University with a degree in molecular biophysics and biochemistry, she then became a broadcast journalist for the PBS Nightly Business Report, where she won the Gerald Loeb Award. Her writings have appeared in numerous outlets, including McSweeney’s, Culinate and Smithsonian.com. Dana gave it all up to write romantic comedies in 2009, beginning with The Secret Supper Club. This is her second novel.
                                   
Twitter - @danabate
Instagram - authordanabate 


No comments: